The glutes are your body’s largest and most powerful muscle group. They contract to move your hips and powering you in every direction.
The summer is here, strengthening your butt muscles can have a major impact on your overall fitness. When it comes to exercises, there are 2 methods you can adapt, either add some of these moves to your current lower body routine or you can turn these 5 exercises into a twice-weekly butt workout. For this, all you need is a pair of dumbbells and a step. So are you ready to get your butt in shape? Follow these 5 exercises!
Single Leg- Jumps
This move includes a little high-impact plyometrics.
- Stand on your right leg and bend your knee
- Shift hips back and jump as high as possible off the ground
- Land softly back on the same foot
- Do 10-12 reps per side
- Grab one dumbbell and stand with your feet at shoulder width
- Hold the dumbbell at chest height, close to your body
- Keeping your back straight and your head facing forward, bend your knees and lower yourself as close to the floor as possible, making sure your knees don’t extend beyond your toes
- Do 10-12 reps
Single Leg Bridge
Single leg bridge exercise works the back muscles and alternates the leg being stretched with each repetition. This exercise requires simultaneously pushing with one leg and stretching with the other.
- Lay on the floor with your feet flat and knees bent.
- Raise one leg off of the ground, pulling the knee to your chest (This will be your starting position).
- Execute the movement by driving through the heel, extending your hip upward and raising your glutes off of the ground.
- Extend as far as possible, pause and then return to the starting position.
This last one is a twist on a classic lunge. Lateral lunge targets the quadriceps and the glutes most intensely but also hits the hamstrings, calves and core.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet at hip width
- Extending your leg out behind you, as in a traditional lunge
- Extend it out to the side as you bend the opposite knee and lower yourself towards the floor.
- Perform 8-10 reps per side.
For all of these butt exercises, you can easily raise the impact by increasing the weight of your dumbbells. As for a number of sets, do this circuit once and then repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 sets. Good Luck!
For much such fitness updates, don’t forget to follow us at @chiggywiggy to never miss an update!